Debra Jo Rupp: Debra Jo Rupp, who will play Kimberly in Barrington Stage Company's production of David Lindsay-Abaire's "Kimberly Akimbo," which begins previews June 16 at St. Germain Stage in Pittsfield, Mass., is no stranger to BSC. She has performed there in "Ring 'Round the Moon," "To Kill a Mockingbird," "The Laramie Project" and as Dr. Ruth Westheimer in "Dr. Ruth, All the Way." The actress has a home in South County.
1. What made you say yes to "Kimberly Akimbo?": The material, the theater, and they asked me.
2. What do you look for in a director?: A strong point of view and a great sense of humor. I work best with that combination. Two of my favorites are Rob Ruggiero and Julie Boyd. Truly. And they're in my neighborhood. Huge plus.
3. What are your greatest satisfactions from acting?: The saying is: "Film is the director's medium, TV is the writer's, and stage is the actor's medium." I find this to be true. The lights come up, the audience is seated, and our journey begins. When everything comes together — when we're all in the same story — there's no feeling like it. It's kind of glorious. And I LOVE to hear the audience laugh. Comedy is surprise. When the audience laughs, it's a pat on the back. When there's a big huge belly laugh, I'm the queen. Lots of opportunity for that in "Kimberly Akimbo." Fingers crossed.
4. What gives you joy?: Blue skies, springtime, happy family, healthy dogs, sweaters in autumn, finishing anything.
5. How do you unwind when you are in rehearsals? : I watch any "Real Housewives" show on Bravo.