PITTSFIELD -- A two-story home at 107 Sadler Ave. was likely left uninhabitable for the time being after a small fire broke out in its basement around 1:45 p.m. Wednesday.
No one was injured and the house's owner, Jimmy Tran, said none of the five residents were home at the time.
City firefighters responded to a report of smoke coming over the roofline of the home, Fire Chief Robert Czerwinski said.
"On arrival, our people found a fire in the lower level of the home," he said. "It looked like it was probably smoldering for awhile."
Czerwinski said crews quickly doused the fire, then set about ventilating the home. Firefighters used industrial fans and broke out most of the house's windows.
Neighbors from across the street reported the blaze after seeing the smoke.
"I was sitting in my chair right there and I saw smoke coming out the back," said Louis Puyia, whose back yard faces the home. "We got up and called 911."