Sunday September 16, 2012

PITTSFIELD -- An early morning Linden Street fire left a two-unit building unlivable and displaced three people from the structure.

According to Mark Cancilla, deputy chief of the Pittsfield Fire Department, the fire resulted from an electrical issue in the light switch of a second-floor bathroom.

An occupant reported that the breaker switched off, and when they tried to reset it, it kept shutting down.

A few minutes later they smelled smoke and called 9-1-1.

Cancilla said the call came in at 2:26 a.m. Five fire engines, one ladder truck and the command unit responded to the call. Once at the scene, fire fighters witnessed heavy smoke escaping through vents in the attic.

The fire was under control after about 20 minutes. Firefighters left the scene a couple of hours later.

Displaced from their homes by the fire, Cancilla said, were Corey Kramek and Cara Kolodzies from one unit and building owner Edwin Juelas from the other.

Cancilla noted that for safety reasons, if an electrical breaker goes out and will not turn back on after one try, the occupant should leave the breaker off and contact a licensed electrician to eliminate any possible fire hazard.

To reach Scott Stafford:
sstafford@berkshireeagle.com,
or (413) 496-6241.
On Twitter: @BE_SStafford


Advertisement