PITTSFIELD -- A city teen ac cused of luring a friend to a deserted spot, beating him up and stealing his phone is being held without bail following his arraignment on Tuesday.
The 20-year-old victim told police he believed the attack was filmed by the man's friends.
In Central Berkshire District Court, Joshua Kalinowski, 19, of Hull Avenue, pleaded not guilty to three felonies and two misdemeanors in connection with a beating that took place Friday night near Conte Elementary School. Kalinowski had his bail revoked on an unrelated domestic assault and battery case and can be held for up to 60 days.
According to a Pittsfield Police report, the victim, Scott Wood, was lured to a spot near the school at about 11 p.m. Friday by Kalinowski's younger sister, with whom Wood had been in a relationship, and two others. When Wood arrived, Kalinowski came out of nearby woods and allegedly punched Wood in the face. On the ground, Wood was punched more and had his face stomped.
Kalinowski allegedly threatened Wood if he went to police.
On Tuesday, Kalinowski pleaded not guilty to felony assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, larceny over $250 and witness intimidation, along with two misdemeanors, assault and battery and threat to commit murder.
Assistant Berkshire District Attorney Mary-Elizabeth Mack told the court that Kalinoswki's violent behavior seemed to be escalating.
The defendant already has an
Judge Fredric D. Rutberg revoked the defendant's bail in the first case. After the 60 days, the defendant will have to pay $100 bail to be released.
The police have requested that Kalinowski's sister, who is 16, along with two others be summonsed into court on similar charges under the theory of joint venture, meaning they would be equally as culpable as Kalinowski for the alleged crimes.
Attorney David C. Cafarelli is representing Kalinowski on both cases.
A pretrial hearing has been scheduled for Oct. 18.
To reach Andrew Amelinckx:
or (413) 496-6249.
On Twitter: @BE_TheAmelinckx