LEE -- An overloaded electrical outlet is being blamed for the fire that heavily damaged a vacant home on Marble Street Monday afternoon, according to local fire officials.
At 1:18 p.m., Lee emergency dispatch received a call of smoke and flames at 125 Marble St., an unoccupied single-family home owned by Michael and Bryan McLaughlin, said Lee Fire Chief Alan Sparks.
While firefighters had the smoke and flames under control within 30 minutes, Sparks said they remained on the scene to deal with hot spots.
"There’s heavy smoke and water damage to the interior, but I don’t have a cost of the damage" he said.
No injuries were reported.
An investigator with the state Fire Marshal Office determined an electrical outlet in the living room overheated due to several extension chords plugged into the single outlet, Sparks said.
Sparks said one of the owners was cleaning out the house in preparation for possible renovations.
To reach Dick Lindsay:
or (413) 496-6233.