Sunday February 24, 2013

Berkshire Eagle Staff

NORTH ADAMS -- A North Adams man is safe after he escaped a burning mobile home on Friday night around 10:50 a.m. on Lot No. 9 at Willow Lane, according to fire officials.

The resident, Michael Dargie, escaped his house after the driver of a passing by car pounded on his door after noticing the fire in the living room, North Adams Fire Director Steve Meranti said.

Dargie proceeded to exit the building after being alerted.

Meranti said that the fire originated from the sofa and he suspected that smoking material was responsible. The fire was quickly put out by firefighters, but there was severe smoke and heat damage to the mobile home, he said.

There was no estimate on total damage.

Dargie is currently living with family and the regional Red Cross will be assisting with his living arrangements, Meranti said.