PITTSFIELD -- An electrical problem is to blame for the city's second two-alarm fire in less than a week.

Faulty wiring in a second story bathroom sparked the blaze that broke out around 8:30 Saturday night at 3 Clarendon St., city fire officials said Sunday afternoon.

The homeowner, Robert Stracuzzi, who occupied the first floor and Robert Rokoff, the second floor tenant escaped unharmed. The Berkshire County Chapter of the American Red Cross was called in to help the residents find temporary housing.

Because there was "extensive damage" to the exterior walls and the roof, the home will have to undergo repairs before the occupants can return, according to Fire Chief Robert Czerwinski, who was at the scene Saturday night.

City fire investigators estimate the damage at $160,000.

Czerwinski noted all 18 firefighters on duty who responded to the blaze had it under control in just under an hour.

To reach Dick Lindsay:
rlindsay@berkshireeagle.com,
or (413) 496-6233.



Advertisement