The Huntington Historical Society will present "The Forgotten Valley, Forgotten No More" from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday, June 22, at Stanton Hall, located at the junction of routes 20 and 112 on the town green.
The event focuses on the early history of the town of Norwich, a former name for Huntington, and the valley areas of Knightville and Indian Hollow affected by the construction of the Knightville Flood Control Dam in 1939-41 on the east branch of the Westfield River.
Through use of photographs, audiovisual equipment and the spoken word, the period from 1773 to 1941 will be covered.
Special guests Winnie Bates Smith of Huntington and Albert Edward Strong of Westfield, both in their 90s, will tell about growing up in the valley in the 1920s and ‘30s, before the dam was built. Several descendants of first settlers of Norwich will also be on hand with information about their families.
The program is free and includes refreshments, with donations accepted. Stanton Hall is air-conditioned and fully accessible. Information: HHS members Bill at (413) 667-3049 or Jill at (413) 667-5794.