Tuesday October 23, 2012

LONDON -- The BBC faced growing fallout Monday over sexual abuse allegations against a popular children’s TV entertainer, as Prime Minister David Cameron accused the broadcaster of changing its story about why it killed a news segment on the accusations.

The venerable broadcaster said in a statement that a top editor had stepped down from its BBC Newsnight program after he was accused of giving incomplete, inaccurate explanations for the decision to keep an investigation of the late Jimmy Savile from being broadcast in December.

The scandal is one of the worst to rock the BBC, long a key player in British public life and often cited as one of the most trusted sources of accurate, unbiased information.

Police are investigating accusations against Savile and say there may be more than 200 potential victims of the entertainer.

"The nation is appalled, we are all appalled by the allegations of what Jimmy Savile did and they seem to get worse by the day," Cameron said, accusing the BBC of changing its story about why it decided not to broadcast the piece.

The BBC is suspected of pulling the Newsnight segment because of its harsh portrayal of Savile, who was hailed as a popular fixture in children’s TV when he died at 84 last year.

The BBC planned to air its own investigation into its actions on a show Monday night.


Advertisement