BECKET >> Jacob's Pillow officials are unveiling a 2016 season featuring more live music, they say, than ever before.
Ten of the 20 performances scheduled for the 2016 season — which will run from the traditional season-opening gala on June 18 in the Ted Shawn Theatre through the final performances on Aug. 28 of Pacific Northwest Ballet in the Ted Shawn Theatre and Brooklyn-based Burkina Faso-born Souleymane Badolo in the smaller Doris Duke Theatre — will feature live musical accompaniment.
The accompanying ensembles include FLUX Quartet, Gruppo Musicale Assurd, Brooklyn Rider, Korean and Argentinian drummers, and a cabaret-style band.
In addition to Badolo, Pacific Northwest Ballet and previously announced appearances by Aspen Santa Fe Ballet (June 22-26, Ted Shawn Theatre), Gauthier Dance//Dance Company Theaterhaus Stuttgart (July 6-10, Shawn), Michelle Dorrance and Dorrance Dance (Aug. 10-14, Shawn) and Compagnie Hervé KOUBI (Aug. 3-7, Shawn), Jacob's Pillow's 84th season will include performances by Argentina's Che Malambo, Bereishit Dance Company from South Korea and, from the United States, Juan Siddi Flamenco Santa Fe; Hubbard Street Dance Chicago; Hubbard Street 2; BalletX; ARIAS Company; Pam Tanowitz Dance; New York Theatre Ballet; Wendy Whelan and Brian Brooks; Adam H. Weinert in "Monument"; FLEXN, created by flex innovator Reggie (Regg Roc) Gray and Peter Sellars; "And Still You Must Swing" with Domeshia Sumbry-Edwards, Derick K.
Aspen Santa Fe Ballet also will be performing at the season opening gala on June 18, along with dancers from The School of Jacob's Pillow.
The Pillow also will present a pre-season special event — "Truck," a site-specific work created by Art Bridgman and Myrna Packer that will be performed June 16 at Pittsfield's Third Thursday. The piece, which will be performed inside a 17-foot box truck, blends dance, video projection and still images."Truck" also will be performed on June 11 for Jacob's Pillow members only and again on June 18 at the gala.
Offstage, the Pillow's Blake's Barn will feature an exhibit of work by renowned theater and dance photographer Lois Greenfield. The exhibit, "Moving Still," opens June 18 and draws its title from Greenfield's new book, her first in 20 years.
The 2016 season is the last one to be put together by Ella Baff, Jacob's Pillow's executive and artistic director for 17 years until she stepped down in September at the end of the 2015 season. Her replacement is expected to be named shortly after the first of the new year.
"I think the (2016) season is a testament to the Pillow's continuing commitment to artists who approach dance and movement from a vast range of perspectives," Jacob's Pillow managing director Andrea Sholler said by email.
The season includes several world premieres, among them pieces by Dorrance, Weinert and Arias that were developed at the Pillow during Creative Development Residencies there.
"The three things that stand out most to me about the season," Sholler said in her email, "are the wide diversity of dance styles, the large number of performances set to live music, and the deep cultural roots that inform so much of what we are presenting in both theaters as well as in (our school's) cultural traditions program."
Tickets go on sale to Jacob's Pillow members on Jan. 11. Tickets go on sale to the general public on April 1.
2016 SEASON AT A GLANCE
• Season Opening Gala — Performances by Bridgman / Packer's TRUCK, Santa Fe Ballet, Dancers of The School at Jacob's Pillow; presentation of Jacob's Pillow Dance Award; opening of Lois Greenfield photo exhibit in Blake's Barn; live and silent auctions; dinner and dancing to live music by Bev Rohlehr and The Colbys, and DJ BFG. Ted Shawn Theatre and Pillow grounds
• Aspen Santa Fe Ballet (USA). Ted Shawn Theatre
• Juan Siddi Flamenco Santa Fe (USA). Doris Duke Theatre
JUNE 29-JULY 3
• Che Malambo (Argentina). Shawn
• Bereishit Dance Company (South Korea). Duke
• Gauthier Dance (Germany). Shawn
• "And Still You Must Swing" with Dormeshia Sumbry-Edwards, Derick K. Grant and Jason Samuels Smith (USA). Duke
• Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (USA). Shawn
• Hubbard Street 2 in "Mariko's Magical Mix: A Dance Adventure." Duke
• BalletX (USA). Shawn
• ZviDance (USA). Duke
• Wendy Whalen and Brian Brooks, with Brooklyn Rider (USA). Shawn
• ARIAS Company (USA). Duke
• Compagnie Hervé KOUBI (France). Shawn
• New York Theatre Ballet (USA). Duke
• Dorrance Dance (USA). Shawn
• "Monument" by Adam H. Weinert (USA). Duke
• FLEXN. Created by Reggie (Regg Roc) Gray and Peter Sellars (USA). Shawn
• Pam Tanowitz Dance (USA). Duke
• Pacific Northwest Ballet (USA). Shawn
• Souleymane Badolo (USA). Duke
• Tickets go on sale to Jacob's Pillow members beginning Jan. 11.
• Tickets go on sale to general public starting April 1, beginning online — jacobspillow.org — at 12:01 a.m.; by phone — (413) 243-0745 — at 10 a.m.
Complete information online at jacobspillow.org or by phone at (413) 243-0745