Roasted Beet Ravioli with Nettle Puree
1/4 cup butter
32 beet ravioli (see recipe)
1/2 cup stinging nettle puree (see recipe)
1/2 cup caramelized walnuts (see recipe)
4 ounces aged Capricious goat cheese, shaved
Heat butter slowly in a small sauce pan until it begins to brown. Remove from heat. Cook beet ravioli in salted boiling water until done, about 2 minutes; drain. Toss hot ravioli with browned butter. Serve topped with nettle puree, caramelized walnuts and goat cheese.
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces red beets
3 ounces ricotta cheese
1-1/2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
Egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1. Put flour and 1 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor. With machine running, add eggs one at a time. Add oil. Process just until dough comes together, 10 seconds. Add a few drops cool water if dough is too dry.
2. Transfer dough to a floured board; knead 5 minutes. Divide into 4 balls; let rest at least 30 minutes, covered, at room temperature.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap beets in foil; roast until tender, then peel.
4. Grate cooled beets with a box grater. Combine with ricotta, breadcrumbs, parsley and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
5. Roll out pasta using thinnest setting on roller. Cut using 2 3/4-inch fluted cookie cutter. Brush each circle with egg wash. Place a heaping mound of beet mixture in the center of each; fold in half, squeezing out excess air, to make half moons. Beet should be visible through pasta. Place on a floured surface under damp paper towels until ready to cook.
Makes 1 cup
3-1/2 ounces cleaned stinging nettles
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Blanch nettles in boiling water until bright green, approximately 30 seconds. Shock in ice water, drain and squeeze dry. Puree all ingredients in blender until smooth.
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 cup walnut halves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar and boiling water, stirring until dissolved. Add honey. Add nuts; stir to coat. Drain excess liquid. Bake nuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet until golden. Using a fork, spread nuts apart before they cool.
-- Taste Catering, San Francisco