PITTSFIELD -- The 15th annual Berkshire County ARC Scholarship awards have been presented to five local high school seniors who have demonstrated outstanding prior involvement with individuals with disabilities, as well as potential to contribute to the field of human services, according to the award criteria. The awards were presented on June 26 at a BCARC's all staff meeting.
This year's scholarship award winners are:
- Elena Sullivan, Berkshire Arts & Technology Charter Public School, $700. She has served as an aide to senior citizens in the dementia unit at Williamstown Commons. She plans to attend Berkshire Com munity College in the fall.
- Gregory Dowland, Pittsfield High School, $700. He is a member of the school's Best Buddies program, and helps care for his sister, who has cerebral palsy. He plans to attend the University of Mass achusetts at Boston in the fall.
- Abigail Pugh, Wahconah Reg ional High School, $1,000. She is a founding member of the Buddy Program at her school, which offers social activities for children with developmental disabilities. She plans to attend Williams College in the fall.
- Benjamin Testa, Wahconah Reg ional High School, $1,000. He has been involved with Buddy Walk of the Berkshires, a Down syndrome awareness event, for the past two years. He plans to attend BCC this fall.
- Jessica Newton of Pittsfield High School earned the Carol Craighead Memorial Scholarship Award, $1,250. She is involved with supporting the Special Olympics and works as a residential relief staff member for Berkshire County ARC. She plans to attend University of Massachusetts at Amherst this fall.Advertisement
An independent panel of community members consisting of Daniel Dillon, relationship development officer of Greylock Federal Credit Union; Shirley Edgerton of the state Department of Developmental Services and June Hailer, advocate for the United Cerebral Palsy, selected the winners. Funds for the scholarships were raised through Berk shire County ARC's Annual Golf Classic.
Berkshire County ARC is an agency that serves people of all ages with developmental disabilities.