James J. Curtin laments the absence of a 250th birthday celebration for the town of Tyringham (letter, Eagle, June 27). He gives the date of the town’s incorporation as March 1, 1762. To set the record straight, Tyringham was incorporated on March 6, not March 1. That same day, San dis field was also incorporated.
In 1737 the General Court created four new plantations known collectively as the Four Housatonic Townships: Num ber One (Tyringham), Number Two (New Marlborough), Num ber Three (Sandisfield), and Number Four (Becket). On Feb. 23, 1762, bills for the incorporation of Numbers One and Three were passed by the House of Representatives. Then, on March 6, acts of incorporation erected the towns of Tyringham and Sandisfield.
New Marlborough was incorporated on June 15, 1759, and Becket on June 25, 1765, along with Richmond, Lanesbor ough, and Williamstown. Mon terey was taken from Tyring ham in 1847 and incorporated that year.
LION G. MILES