The Democratic and Republican conventions are just free publicity for both parties. We already know who their candidates are going to be.
The upper 1 percent income class of this country controls these conventions and everyone in the U.S. Congress in one way or another. The purpose of these conventions is to increase the likability of their candidates. Every second is planned and rehearsed.
But what about the issues that affect us? Such as:
* Will they increase the minimum wage to $10? This would stimulate the economy because people will have more to spend. People will be more dedicated to their jobs and businesses will have less turnover in their staffs.
* When will they force big American corporations to pay their taxes like the rest of us? Right now, they have subdivisions in other countries that get all their revenue and pay nothing.
* When will they send to jail the Wall Street bankers who committed fraud and sent our economy into deep recession?
* When will they stop Wall Street bankers from dealing in derivatives? If they do not, this country will go into a depression worse than the Great Depression of the 1930s. Financial experts are predicting it. It is not a matter of if it will happen, but when it will happen.
* When will they cut the Pentagon budget? Anyone who has been in the armed services knows the massive waste that goes on in the armed services.
They tell us how great things will be and how much their plans will work and what their positions are on social issues, which are irrelevant to our financial survival. Do not be fooled, look for the reasons for what they are doing and what they are saying. It might be to keep the power and control of the federal government in the hands of the 1 percent. THOMAS MARINI