Wednesday July 18, 2012

PITTSFIELD -- A fire that broke out in a garage at 36 Louise St. on Monday night was contained before it spread to the attached home, according to the Pittsfield Fire Department.

The blaze began when a container filled with oily rags inside the two-car garage ignited. The blaze was reported at 9:51 p.m., and when firefighters arrived on the scene they found the structure engulfed in flames.

They were able to gain control of the blaze within 20 minutes, according to the fire report.

"They did a great job stopping it," said Deputy Chief Keith Phillips.

No injuries were reported, but the house did suffer moderate smoke damage.

Jeffrey Heaton lives in the home with his family. The Heatons are currently staying with relatives, according to the Fire Department.

No vehicles were parked in the garage at the time of the fire, but a brand new Chevrolet Traverse that was parked in front of the structure received front-end fire damage, according to Phillips.

Phillips said the rags that started the fire were soaked in chemicals used to refinish furniture and were being stored in the garage near an outside wall, which is where they spontaneously combusted.

"This isn't the first time we've seen this happen," he said, "I know of at least three other similar incidents in the past few years."


Advertisement