PITTSFIELD -- An alleged serial arsonist facing 31 charges is scheduled to go to trial in November, but attorneys in the case say a possible plea deal may be in the works.

Police and prosecutors allege Stuart Zebrowski, 55, of Chicopee, is a serial arsonist who targeted what he considered eyesores in Southern Berkshire County, setting four empty buildings on fire and starting 15 brush fires between 2009 and 2012. He also broke into homes along his delivery route while working for a Springfield-based linen service, said police.

Zebrowski, who is a level 2 sex offender, allegedly told investigators he broke into the homes "out of curiosity," but didn't intend to harm anyone.

While in the homes Zebrowski allegedly stole various items, from a chain saw to an item listed in a police report as "a pink rock."

He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

On Wednesday, Zebrowski appeared in Berkshire Superior Court with his attorney Richard D. LeBlanc, before Judge John A. Agostini. LeBlanc and Assistant Berkshire District Attorney Mary-Elizabeth Mack asked that the case be placed on the November trial list. Both attorneys said they were in discussions on a possible resolution short of trial.

The case was originally scheduled for May, but has seen several delays including one for a mental health evaluation for Zebrowski.

Arrested in April 2012, he has since been held at the Berkshire County Jail & House of Correction on $25,000 cash or $250,000 bond.

Zebrowski has previously served time in prison. He was convicted on two rape charges in Hamden Superior Court in 1984 and was sentenced to nine to 14 years in prison. As a level 2 sex offender he is considered by the state to be at "moderate" risk to re-offend.

To reach Andrew Amelinckx:
aamelinckx@berkshireeagle.com,
or (413) 496-6249.
On Twitter: @BE_TheAmelinckx