PITTSFIELD >> A city couple was displaced from their home last weekend after an electrical fire broke out in their Edward Avenue home, according to Pittsfield fire officials.
The husband and wife discovered the fire around 11:45 p.m. Saturday while trying to find the source of an electrical problem in their half of the two-story, wood-frame structure at 20-22 Edward Ave.
Upon arrival, firefighters found a small fire around an electrical box in the couple's second floor bedroom. The flames spread up the wall and into the attic.
The fire was under control in about an hour, caused by a short in electrical wiring in the second-floor bedroom.
The couple escaped unharmed and no firefighters were injured. City inspectors determined the duplex wasn't safe until the fire and electrical damage are repaired.