PITTSFIELD >> A family of six — including four children — were displaced by a dryer fire Saturday afternoon.

Around 1:30 p.m., the Pittsfield Fire Department responded to a 911 call from 124 Gale Ave. where fighters found the Sherman residence quickly filling with smoke, according to city fire officials. A second alarm was called, but the fire was quickly brought under control. Everyone home at the time got out safely and no firefighters were hurt.

The fire began in the basement, originating from the dryer due, in part, to the build of lint, fire officials said.

Except for some singed electrical wires, there was no structure damage to the home. However, there was enough smoke damage to force the Shermans to seek temporary housing with family or friends, according to fire officials.