POWNAL, VT — Electrical issues contributed to a July 3 Church Street fire according to state Division of Fire Safety Assistant Fire Marshall Paul Spicer.

The fire destroyed a barn built during the late 1800s as well as a silo and a small outbuilding. The electrical problem likely originated in a breaker box and a sub-panel located in the barn, according to information provided by Spicer. Damage to the barn was so extensive that the precise starting point of the problem could not be determined, he said.

The investigation is continuing but the fire is not suspicious, he said.

The fire drew members of five fire volunteer fire departments to the scene. Vermont State Police Fire Investigative Unit Detective Sergeant Todd Ambroz assisted with the investigation.