NORTH ADAMS — Firefighters quickly contained a dangerous fire at a West Main Street apartment building on Thursday.

Responding rapidly to a reported structure fire at 75 West Main St. on Thursday afternoon, the North Adams Fire Department discovered smoke spewing from a second-floor apartment.

Firefighters evacuated the apartment's lone remaining resident, who was attempting to put out the flames with an extinguisher, before extinguishing the fire. The occupant was uninjured, according to North Adams Fire Director Stephen Meranti. All other occupants of the building's apartments made it out safely.

"Early detection, quick response, and aggressive interior attack — that's how you keep a small fire small," Meranti said.

The fire was contained to a small storage room, according to Meranti.

"We're in the process of investigating right now," he said.

Though it was quickly contained with little water, the fire left two apartments uninhabitable until further inspection ensures that their electrical systems were not compromised. The building is owned by Charles Swabey.

Chris Record was riding his bike on West Main Street and noticed the smoke coming from the building.

"They showed up right when I did — maybe a minute, tops," Record said of the department's response time. "They did a great job."

The response caused West Main Street to be closed in both directions for about an hour. Off-duty firefighters were called in, while North Adams Ambulance Service and North Adams Police also responded to the scene.


Advertisement

At the same time, emergency services also responded to an accident on Patterson road, but there were no injuries.

Contact Adam Shanks at 413-496-6376


North Adams firefighters remove debris from a West Main Street apartment building that caught fire on Thursday afternoon. Nobody was injured in the fire,
North Adams firefighters remove debris from a West Main Street apartment building that caught fire on Thursday afternoon. Nobody was injured in the fire, which was quickly contained, but residents of two apartments were not allowed back in their residences until fire officials made sure electrical systems weren't compromised.