HANCOCK -- Vacationers at a time-share condominium resort escaped unharmed following an accidental fire in one of the condominium buildings Sunday afternoon.
Shortly before 3:30 p.m., the staff at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, across from Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort, called 911 to report a fire in the attic of Building 6, according to Nelo Velarde, an on-site building manager.
"We called the [Hancock] Fire Department as soon as we saw smoke," Velarde said. " We then went and checked the units to make sure everyone was out."
Velarde added 10 of the building's 16 units were rented, but he's unsure how many were actually inside when the fire broke out.
When firefighters from Hancock and neighboring Stephentown, N.Y. arrived, several of the men climbed Hancock's ladder truck to access the roof. By using a chainsaw, they cut through a small section of siding on the side of the roof in order to access the smoke and flames, according to local fire investigators.
"It was hot up there and with all the insulation the fire was hard to find," said Hancock Fire Chief David Rash. "It was smoldering pretty good."
Rash says a bathroom ventilation fan malfunctioned, sparking the fire that was contained to the attic. However, he noted at least two of the condominium units sustained smoke and water damage.
The fire chief reported none of the nearly 25 firefighters on the scene were injured.
As for the displaced time-share occupants, they were relocated to other condominiums within the 360-unit complex, Velarde said.