To the editor of THE EAGLE:
My hope is that the article "Food allergies on the rise" in the Sept. 10 paper brought food allergy awareness to the public as well as to the restaurant owners of Berkshire County.
I cannot tell you how many times we have gone out to dinner and explained to the hostess and to the server that my son has life-threatening food allergies, only to get a deer in the headlights blank stare back.
I’m sure that you’ve all noticed the sign that reads "Please tell your server if a member of your party has a food allergy." They are hanging everywhere, but until the restaurant owners take a real initiative in keeping the food allergy population safe, what good is the sign? The brutal reality is, that if my son ingests something that he is allergic to he could go into anaphylactic shock and die. It’s a fear that I live with every single day. And, I know this sounds far-fetched to some of you, but just a few months ago 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi died at summer camp after eating a dessert that contained peanuts.
Food allergies are on the rise, so shouldn’t we educate ourselves in an effort to keep our friends, family and members of our community safe?