GREAT BARRINGTON -- At least three people have been temporarily displaced after an electrical fire damaged apartments in a mixed-use complex on Maple Avenue.
About 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, the Great Barrington Fire Department responded to the blaze in a fourth-floor apartment at 80 Maple Ave., a commercial building with residential units on the upper floors.
No one was injured in the fire, and no residents were home at the time, according to Fire Chief Charles Burger. Firefighters were alerted by a fire alarm.
Water and smoke damage have some residents temporarily seeking shelter elsewhere.
One resident relocated because of the heavy smell of smoke, according to Burger. A downstairs resident was relocated because of water leaking from the ceiling.
The two residents were assisted by the Berkshire County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Burger declined to identify the resident of the apartment, but he said he will be staying with family.
The fire was caused by multiple electronic devices and an air purifier being plugged into a single area, Burger said.