BECKET-- A fire at a Becket residence at Long Bow Road was put out quickly by firefighters Friday morning.
The fire was reported at 7:30 a.m. by a neighbor. The Becket Fire Department responded and put out the structure fire, according to Berkshire County dispatch.
Nobody was inside the home at the time. The damage was limited to charred siding on the front exterior of the home, near a bedroom and bathroom window.
"It could have been worse if a neighbor didn't spot it," Becket Fire Chief Ray Tarjick said.
"In another 10 minutes, with nobody seeing it, it would have gotten into the structure."
While the fire is still under investigation, Tarjick preliminarily believes that an electrical problem with a telephone pole transferred its way down to the wood siding and panelling near the telephone service entrance of the home. Two wooden flower boxes caught fire under two windows.
Firefighters were able to "knock it right down" as soon as they got on the scene, Tarjick said.
To reach Nathan Mayberg: email@example.com or (413) 496-6243