PITTSFIELD -- City firefighters quickly snuffed out a chimney fire off West Street Sunday evening.

Around 6:50 p.m., the Pittsfield Fire Department received a 911 call reporting the fire at the O'Brien residence at 210 Eleanor Road. Firefighters arrived to find smoke billowing from the top of the chimney, which was immediately extinguished with a dry chemical.

Michael O'Brien and his wife escaped unharmed and firefighters at the scene also avoided injury. Fire investigators are unsure what caused the fire, which was contained to the chimney. Once the single-family home was cleared of the smoke, the O'Briens were allowed to return to their home.

To reach Dick Lindsay:
rlindsay@berkshireeagle.com,
or (413) 496-6233.