PITTSFIELD -- A grease fire in the kitchen of the Friendly's Restaurant on Dalton Avenue early Thursday morning caused the eatery to close for the rest of the day, according to officials.

No injuries or extensive damage were reported, according to Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Kilmer.

Kilmer said a "little cleanup and remodeling" inside the restaurant needed to take place. The restaurant was expected to re-open by Friday afternoon.

The Fire Department responded to Friendly's for the report of a structure fire at 7:45 a.m., according to Kilmer.

The blaze was caused by built-up grease that ignited after a cooking grill was activated, he said.

Restaurant employees were able to activate a fire suppression device in the kitchen.

"It just makes an awful mess," Kilmer said.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, the blaze had already gone out.

Kilmer said representatives of the Health Department, Building Inspector's Office, and a city plumbing inspector visited the restaurant after the fire had been contained. A gas pipe found dislodged from a wall needed to be reattached.

"There's no gas leak," KiImer said.