EGREMONT -- A Thursday hearing related to two South County teens facing drug charges has been postponed until Feb. 10.

The delay was granted to allow the attorney for one of the teens more time to review documents related to two Egremont officers who allegedly broke into the police evidence room to look at the evidence confiscated from their clients.

During a hearing in November, Southern Berkshire District Court Judge Fredric Rutberg agreed to allow lawyers for Michael Consolini, of Sheffield, and Nathan Lopes, of Housatonic, access to town documents and the personnel records of the two officers.

Lopes' lawyer Jedd Hall requested, and was granted, additional time to interview witnesses and review documents, according to Clerk Magistrate Thomas Bartini.

The attorneys have requested the charges be dismissed after Egremont officers Edward Pezze and Kyle Kemp allegedly broke into the Egremont Police Department's evidence room to look at the drugs that had been confiscated from their clients. They said the personnel records for Pezze and Kemp could further discredit the case.

In his written account, Pezze said he approached Kemp about looking at the confiscated drugs because he had never seen bath salts during his police training and was curious to see what the drug looked like.

The attorneys also have requested access to the personnel records of arresting officer Hans Carlson, and another unnamed Egremont officer. But the judge declined the request unless the lawyers can convey the relevancy of the personnel information.


Advertisement

Consolini is charged with trespassing with a motor vehicle, a drug violation near a school zone or park, and multiple drug distribution offenses. Lopes is charged with trespassing, drug possession, disorderly conduct and charges related to resisting arrest.