LENOX -- A benefit to aid the victims of a Jan. 17 fire that destroyed their home in the town of Washington will be held from 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Olde Heritage Tavern, 12 Housatonic St.

The fundraiser will benefit Mitchell Pratt and Anne Hynes, formerly of Lenox Dale, whose house at 1013 South Washington State Road was a total loss. The home was valued at $250,000, according to Becket Fire Chief Ray Tarjick, the first of 30 firefighters who responded to the scene.

A donation of $20 per person for a buffet and raffle will be collected at the door; children 10 and under will be admitted free.

The couple’s two dogs were rescued by Mitchell D. St. Martin of Huntington, who spotted the chimney fire while driving past the residence last Friday afternoon at 2:45. Firefighters from Becket, Hinsdale, Washington and Otis knocked down the blaze after three hours and praised St. Martin for reporting it and saving the dogs.

-- Clarence Fanto


Advertisement