Photo Gallery: McArthur Street Fire

PITTSFIELD -- Two people escaped injury on Thursday afternoon after a fire broke out in their McArthur Street duplex.

Pittsfield firefighters responded to the fire on 38 McArthur St. around 3:10 p.m., which was started when the homeowner, Anthony Martini, used a blow torch to try to replace and solder a section of water piping. The fire started in the basement and then traced its way to the back exterior of the house and up to the roof eaves and then into the attic.

Firefighters had to extinguish a blaze on the exterior of the house and then another fire that started in the attic.

Pittsfield firefighters were called in by Martini. Both he and a woman inside of the home fled safely.

Pittsfield Fire Chief Robert Czerwinski said the interior of the duplex owner's side of the house was unscathed, but the duplex tenant will likely have to be relocated for the night because of the heavy smell of smoke.

Pittsfield firefighters estimated the total damage at $20,000. The interior of the house was largely spared of damage.

One firefighter was injured, suffering a facial laceration, after slipping on the icy sidewalk.

To reach John Sakata:

jsakata@berkshireeagle.com

or (413) 496-6240.

On Twitter: @jsakata