PITTSFIELD -- A New York man accused of sexually abusing a boy going back nearly 20 years ago had his bail reduced following a hearing on Tuesday.
Nathan Milette, 40, of Brooklyn, is accused of sexually abusing a now 22-year-old man beginning when the complaining witness was about 4 until he was about 16.
He has denied 13 charges, including multiple counts of rape of a child with force and indecent assault and battery.
Milette was picked up on a warrant in New York City, where he was living and working as a film grip -- a lighting and rigging technician -- and arraigned here in May. He has been in jail for more than two months unable to make the $25,000 cash or $250,000 surety bail set at arraignment.
On Tuesday in Berkshire Superior Court, Milette's attorney, Raymond J. Jacoub, told the court the complaining witness didn't make the abuse allegations until six years after the alleged crimes occurred and it took another year before charges were filed. He said his client wasn't a flight risk, has ties to the Berkshires and has a minimal record.
Jacoub said the complaining witness is currently serving prison time so there wouldn't be any possibility of Milette having any contact with him if released.
He asked that his client's bail be reduced to $2,000 cash or surety.
Assistant Berkshire District Attorney Rachael Eramo said the alleged victim's memory of the events was very clear and the investigation into the allegations was lengthy.
She said Milette had sexually abused the alleged victim for years in various locations in the Berkshires. Milette was convicted of similar offenses in the past as well as for failing to register as a sex offender, she said.
According to the prosecutor, Milette had told his sibling he had no intention of coming back to Pittsfield or of going back to jail.
Jacoub countered that his client had been in touch with investigators and had been willing to come back to face the charges.
The attorney said the police were overzealous when filing a warrant instead of issuing Milette a summons to appear in court.
Judge John A. Agostini lowered the defendant's bail to $15,000 cash or surety bail.
No trial date has been set in the case.
Milette remains in custody at the Berkshire County Jail & House of Correction.
To reach Andrew Amelinckx:
or (413) 496-6249.
On Twitter: @BE_TheAmelinckx