BOSTON >> Fire investigators say they believe a hoverboard is to blame for causing a blaze that seriously damaged an apartment building in Boston's North End section.

The fire broke out just after 9 p.m. Sunday on the third floor of a 4 1/2-story residence on Hanover Street. Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames, but not before they caused approximately $100,000 in damage to the structure.

Fire officials say displaced residents were staying with friends.

The Boston Globe reports the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating 57 fires reportedly linked to the two-wheeled, self-balancing transportation devices. State officials say hoverboards played a role in a November blaze in Somerville and a February fire in Chelmsford.