2nd West Nile virus
case is confirmed
Massachusetts health officials have confirmed a second case of West Nile virus in the state this summer.
The health department said Wednesday that a Norfolk County man in his 30s has recovered from the mosquito-borne illness and been discharged from a hospital.
Officials said Monday that a Plymouth County man in his 70s had the mosquito-borne illness and was recovering in a hospital.
There were 33 West Nile cases in the state last year, and at least one death.
Last week health officials said a Norfolk County woman in her 80s who recently died was the first case of Eastern equine encephalitis this year. There were seven cases in Massachusetts last year, and at least two deaths.
Officials are urging precautions against mosquitoes as the Labor Day weekend approaches.
Ethics panel extends
deadline for lawmaker
State Sen. Dan Wolf has won a temporary reprieve from a state Ethics Commission ruling that could force him to quit the Legislature and end his campaign for governor.
The commission has extended a deadline it gave Wolf, a Harwich Democrat, to choose between his political career or continued ownership interest in Cape Air.
Wolf’s campaign says the commission has agreed to hear the case at its next meeting on Sept. 19.
As a result, Wolf will not resign from the Senate on Thursday as he had previously said he would be forced to do unless the commission reconsidered. His gubernatorial campaign will remain suspended.
The commission said Wolf is in violation of conflict-of-interest rules because Cape Air has contracts with Logan International Airport, which is operated by the Massachusetts Port Authority.
One dead, 2 stricken
in overdoses at club
Boston police are investigating the death of a woman and the illness of two other people after apparent drug overdoses at a nightclub.
Police said Wednesday they were called to the House of Blues on Landsdowne Street near Fenway Park about 12:45 a.m. after the three were taken by ambulance to a hospital. Police said an adult woman was pronounced dead, and an adult man and woman are in serious condition. Police said the three didn’t know each other.
Club spokesman Jay Anderson said in a statement that "the safety of our guests is our top priority" and expressed sympathy for the victim’s family and friends.
Track pledges $15M
if city hosts casino
Suffolk Downs says it has reached a host community agreement with Revere that would provide an estimated $15 million in annual revenue to the city if a casino is built at the thoroughbred race track.
The deal was announced on Wednesday, one day after Suffolk Downs and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino announced a similar host community agreement that includes estimated annual payments of $52 million to Boston.
The track straddles the East Boston neighborhood and Revere. Voters in both communities must approve the separate agreements before Suffolk Downs, which is partnering with Caesars Entertainment, can apply to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission for the sole eastern Massachusetts resort casino license.