Conor McGregor has delivered a punch on social media rather than inside a UFC cage.

One of the UFC's top draws, McGregor created a stir Tuesday when he tweeted that retirement was on the horizon and the UFC later tweeted that McGregor had been pulled from UFC 200 on July 9.

The 27-year-old McGregor tweeted, "I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later."

But is it truly exit octagon cage left for the Irish star?

McGregor was scheduled for a rematch against Nate Diaz in the main event of UFC 200.

UFC President Dana White told ESPN that he pulled McGregor from the card after he decided not to attend pre-fight promotional appearances in Las Vegas.

"Is Conor McGregor retiring? Only he can answer that question," White told ESPN. "I don't know. But he will not be a part of UFC 200."

Diaz playfully replied to the tweet with his own "retirement" announcement. He tweeted, "I guess my work here is done I'm retiring too."

McGregor's coach added fuel to the retirement speculation with his own tweet that said, "Well was fun while it lasted."

Other UFC fighters later joked on Twitter that they also would retire.