Week 3 of the Western Mass. football media poll sees the poll's first unanimous No. 1 selection, as Springfield Central earned all eight first-place votes to keep the top spot for the third consecutive week. Central earned the clean sweep after its thumping of No. 6 Westfield last weekend.
The rest of the top 3 stays the same as last week, as Chicopee Comp holds down the No. 2 spot and Northampton sits at No. 3. Beyond that, results across the western third of the state have caused teams to rise and fall in the poll this week.
Wahconah jumps into the top 5 for the first time this week at No. 4, and the 3-0 Warriors will have a Friday contest against another unbeaten, No. 8 Pittsfield. That game is the highlight contest featuring two top-10 teams this week. The other top-10 matchup also goes down on Friday, as No. 9 South Hadley welcomes No. 10 Hoosac Valley.
The final Berkshire County team ranked this week is Taconic, which fell one spot to No. 5 after its loss last Saturday to St. Mary's (Lynn).
1. Springfield Central (8) 80 (LW 1), Fri. at Longmeadow
2. Chicopee Comp 67 (LW 2), Fri. at Minnechaug
3. Northampton 61 (LW 3), Fri. at East Longmeadow
4. Wahconah 58 (LW 7), Fri. at No. 8 Pittsfield
5. Taconic 48 (LW 4), Sat. vs. Chicopee
6. Westfield 35 (LW 5), Fri. at Commerce
7. West Springfield 24 (LW 6), Fri. at Putnam
8. Pittsfield 22, (LW 10), Fri. vs. No. 4 Wahconah
9. South Hadley 16, (LW 8), Fri. vs. No. 10 Hoosac Valley
10. Hoosac Valley 9 (LW 9), Fri. at No. 9 South Hadley
Others receiving votes: Agawam 7, Turners Falls 5, Mount Greylock 4, Palmer 4.
Voters: Jason Butynski (Greenfield Recorder), Stephen Dravis (iBerkshires), Akeem Glaspie (The Berkshire Eagle), Kyle Grabowski (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Adam Hargraves (Daily Hampshire Gazette), Howard Herman (The Berkshire Eagle), Joseph Rea (The Berkshire Eagle), Mike Walsh (Berkshire Courier).