Berkshire Hills Country Club member and Pittsfield High golfer Kevin Quinto is on a nice run this summer.
Prior to last week's Berkshire Hills Singles tournament at his home course, Quinto won in a match of cards with Lee High's Thomas Fraser to win the opening Berkshire County Junior Series event of the summer. He also captured top honors in the 16-and-older division in the second and third events.
That set the stage for a strong performance in the rain-shortened Singles. Not only did he take top honors in the First Division with at 36-hole total of 152, he also hit a hole-in-one on the par-3 13th hole in the opening round.
Quinto followed that up with an impressive 3-over-par 73 at Worthington Golf Club this past Monday for an easy 11-shot victory over Mount Greylock High's Kyle Alvarez in the fourth junior series event.
No doubt Quinto's summer has Pittsfield High golf coach Chris Polidoro smiling in anticipation of this fall's upcoming high school season.
The other division winners at Worthington were Greenock Country Club's Max Sherpardson in the 13-and-under division and a pair of Forest Park Country Club golfers, Derek Alibozek and Henry Sniezek, who tied for first in the 14-15 division.
The fifth junior series event will be played Monday at Wahconah Country Club and the series finale, which also serves as the Allied Junior Championship, is Aug. 15 at Skyline Country Club.
Speaking of the Singles, for those who have lost count, Andy Congdon's victory in the rain-shortened event last weekend was his sixth in the event, stretching back more than 30 years.
The senior standout has cut back his tournament schedule over the past two years, but with his one-shot victory over fellow Wyantenuck Country Club member Joe Grochmal, he showed once again why he has been the county's dominant player over the past few decades.
The 63-year-old shot rounds of 72 and 73 to finish at 1-over 145 to successfully defend the title he won in a dramatic playoff in 2015.
No doubt Congdon will be looking to defend another title a week from today when Waubeeka Golf Links hosts the Allied Championship, a title he has won a mind-boggling 11 times, including last year at Egremont Country Club.
Egremont County Club's David Strawn and Wyantenuck Country Club's Tom Sullivan came close in trying to earn spots in this year's National Senior Club Pro Championships in last week's Northeast New York PGA Section's Senior Pro Championship at Ballston Spa (N.Y.) Country Club.
Strawn shot rounds of 77 and 70 to finish at 5-over 147 to finish third and Sullivan shot 72 and 76 to finish at 148 to finish fourth in the one-day, 36-hole marathon. New York pros Peter Gerard (72-71 —143) and Frank Mellet (74-71 — 145) finished 1-2 to earn their tickets to the national tournament at Port St. Lucie, Fla.
A strong field of 44 golfers will attempt to qualify for this year's U.S. Golf Association Mid-Amateur Championship in a qualifier at Stockbridge Golf Club on Wednesday.
Only one Berkshire County golfer, Wahconah Country Club's Paul Briggs, is in the field that includes some of the state's top golfers, including 2014 Mass. Amateur champion John Kelly, who was the runner-up in this year's Mass. Am. at Taconic Golf Club, and 2014 Mass. Mid-Amateur and Public Links champion Herbie Aikens.
Briggs and Aikens are both playing in this weekend's Massachusetts Golf Association Public Links Championship at Waubeeka Golf Links.
There will be two berths in the U.S. Mid-Am and two alternate spots up for grabs in Wednesday's tournament.
BERKSHIRE HILLS SINGLES
July 29-Aug. 1
At Berkshire Hills Country Club
36 holes (Third round cancelled, rain)
Andy Congdon, 145; 2. Joe Grochmal, 146; 3. (tie) Mike Arter, 149; Randy Driscoll, 149' Donnie Troy 149; 6. James Walsh, 150; 7. (tie) Jeff Puleri, 151; Adam Brickle, 151; Steve Quillinan Jr., 152; Jim Mueller, 152.
FIRST LOW GROSS FLIGHT
1. Kevin Quinto, 152; 2. (tie) Brandon Sullivan, 154; Vincent Beraldi, 154; 4. Mitch Omelenchuck, 156; 5. (tie) Cam Boraski, 160; Ralph Dastoli, 160.
SECOND LOW GROSS FLIGHT
1. Jim Dahrouge,156; 2. (tie) John Keegan, 157; Bill Hogan, 157; 4. (tie) Tom Curry, 164; John Salvini, 164.
THIRD LOW GROSS FLIGHT
1. Leo Nutting,159; 2. John Edinger, 167; 3. Jody Curry, 173; 4. Scott Preston, 174; 5. Jim Clark, FIRST NET FLIGHT
1. (tie) Ronny Cohen, 140; Roger Bournival, 140; 3. Bob Chiaretta, 143; 4. Paul Manko, 150; 5. Aldo Butera, 153.
SECOND NET FLIGHT
1. Brandon Strileckis,141; 2. Bob Massetti, 143; 3. Ray Byron, 145; Brian Seppa, 146; 5. Bill Russell, 148.
FIRST SENIOR FLIGHT
1. Frank Cipollino, 150; 2. Rich Rowe, 151; 3. Joe Quillinan, 151.
1. Fred Goerlach, 145; 2. Ted Boraski, 146; 3. (tie) Ron Humphrey, 148; Mike Korpita, 148.
Gross 1st - $175 – Frank Cipollino-150
SECOND SENIOR FLIGHT
1. Kevin Carozza, 159; 2. Michael Fletcher, 160; 3. Mark Riley, 164.
1. (tie) Steve Campoli, 138; 2. John Goodlow, 138; 3. Craig Clemson, 142.
BERKSHIRE COUNTY JUNIOR SERIES
At Worthington Golf Club
1. Max Shepardson, Greenock CC, 90; 2. Patrick McLaughlin, Worthington GC, 104; 3. Levi Zielinski, Worthington GC, 105.
1. (tie) Derek Alibozek,Forest Park CC, 96; Henry Sniezek, Forest Park CC, 96; 3. Ryan Baran, Waubeeka GL, 99; 4. Connor Champeaux, Berkshire Hills CC, 100; 5. Luc Trombley, Forest Park CC, 107.
1. Kevin Quinto, Berkshire Hills CC, 73; 2. Kyle Alvarez, Forest Park CC, 84; 3. Brandon Brooks, Worthington GC, 88; 4. Cole Kratz, Forest Park CC, 89; 5. Travis Wolf, Worthington GC, 90.
BERKSHIRE COUNTY SENIOR GOLF ASSOCIATION
At Wahconah CC
1. Sam Luzzier, Amherst CC, 79; 2. Doug George, Amherst CC, 84.
1. Wally Fritz, Wahconah CC, 72; 2. Lorin Levine, Wyantenuck CC, 74.
1. Charles Sawyer, Wahconah CC, 83; 2. Dick Rivers, Skyline CC, 83.
1. David Reilly, Berkshire Hills CC, 65; 2. Jim Kimball, Wyantenuck CC, 71.
1. Gary Schieneman, Stockbridge GC, 87; 2. Barry Karson, Wyantenuck CC, 90.
1. David Lithgow, Amherst CC, 68; 2. Scott Dinan, 69.
1. Chet Douglas, Stockbridge GC, 89; 2. Steve Mack, Wyantenuck CC, 90.
1. Sid Myers, Wyantenuck CC, 66; 2., Bob Bagg, Worthington GC, 67.