A check you may never get to cash

Sunday October 21, 2012

In 1988, President Ronald Reagan was allowed, in fact encouraged, to place the Social Security surplus in the general fund. These "excess" funds were not destined for health care for those who could not afford it, nor for heating assistance, nor for education or even our infrastructure. These funds were placed where they could be used for military spending and the popular park projects. Had the surplus been allowed to remain where it was there would be no discussion of ending Social Security or of allowing these funds to be placed into the stock market, or simply not being available to those who have counted on them to retire. This excess as it is called would now near $1 trillion and would allow benefits to continue for those about to retire, their children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren.

After Herbert Hoover, there came a time of great prosperity for this country. With the election of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, this country invested in itself and its people. With Roosevelt’s foresight, he continued investment in our roads, schools and social programs like Social Security to ensure the strength not only of our country but its people.

On Dec. 17, 1988, the Eagle wrote an editorial entitled "Don’t spend the Social Security surplus." I encourage all to find and read this editorial.

During this election year there have been many numbers touted but the only number that will be important is the final count in the upcoming election. Note that Mitt Romney has made it clear that only 3 percent of the population is important to him and I promise it is not you or I. Mr. Romney left this state in financial disarray and has been vocal about reducing/eliminating Social Security and Medicare. In the past 20 years, the gap between the 3 percent and the remaining 97 percent has gotten larger and larger. If Mr. Romney had been correct that greater earnings of this select group would create jobs and raise this country back to the pre-Bush days we’d already be there.

The Romney-Paul ticket promises "fixes" that have been tried and failed and though our current president continues to struggle he has continued to make plans, adjust his approach, and most importantly keep the millions of members of the middle class the focus of his goals. Only you can choose which path we will follow and I encourage you to hold our elected officials accountable.

This election it is time to vote for the greater good of the people and not simply a party. Your votes both state and federal can put the U.S. back on the path to prosperity and health. DOLLY R. MORRIS



If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions