Adams man gets probation for firing BB gun at school buses


NORTH ADAMS — An Adams man was ordered to serve a year of probation and pay restitution for shooting a BB gun at two school buses in March.

Bailey Hisert, 20, of Lime Street, admitted in Northern Berkshire District Courts on Monday to sufficient facts Monday on charges that he fired BBs at two school buses while crouching about 20 feet from the road at about 2:30 p.m. March 4.

The shots broke the glass of windows in both buses, each of which had a young child onboard. One of the windows caused glass to splatter across the driver's 2-year-old son, according to the report, but he was uninjured. A child in the second bus was dropped off at C.T. Plunkett Elementary and also was uninjured in the incident.

Assessing the damage and hole left in one of the bus windows, police were quickly able to identify that the weapon was likely a small-calibre round, possible from an air rifle, according to a police report written by Adams Police Sgt. Matthew Wright.

But because the source could not immediately be identified, the Berkshire County Special Response Team, Massachusetts State Police Ballistics Unit, and numerous local law enforcement agencies were called to the scene.

Based primarily on the glass left on the roadway and interviews with both bus drivers, police were able to trace the shots to Hisert.

In a written statement to police after his arrest, Hisert admitted to shooting at the buses.

"I didn't think it was a big deal shooting at the bus and never ever imagined that I would shoot out any windows on it," Hisert said. "If I knew what happened right away I would have gone down there and apologized and did whatever I had to do to make it right."

In a letter submitted to the court in May, a licensed mental health counselor described Hisert as showing "clear and consistent maturity" and added that he "poses no danger to himself or others going forward."

A local business also wrote to the court in May to confirm that Hisert is employed full-time and is a "loyal and responsible employee."

Hisert, represented by attorney Michelle Mechta, recommended a continuance without a finding for nine months, while prosecutors asked for a finding of guilty and one year of probation.

Judge Paul Vrabel ordered two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, one count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and two counts of malicious destruction of property over $250 be continued without a finding for one year.

Hisert was ordered to pay the Dufour Bus Co. $864.72 in restitution.

A single count of disorderly conduct was continued without a finding and dismissed.

Contact Adam Shanks at 413-496-6376.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions