After Lee fire, a lesson is learned and no one is hurt


LEE -- Eva Joy Senecal had just explained the dangers of playing with fire to her 4-year-old just two days ago, but her words didn't seem to be enough, she said.

Just before 2 p.m. on Tuesday, the boy and his 3-year-old brother were watching a movie and somehow he got a hold of more matches and set their room ablaze.

"He came running down the stairs crying, saying how sorry he was and that he didn't know what to do," Senecal said.

Luckily, Eva Joy did. She called 911 and got the kids out of the house safely.

Within minutes, more than 30 members of the Lee and South Lee fire departments arrived on scene along with members of the Lee Police Department and troopers from the state police.

"The poor kid thought he was going to jail when the police arrived," Senecal said of her son.

Her husband, Caleb, had just been at the house on a break from work and just left when Eva Joy called to tell him what had happened.

"He's one of those kids that has to learn from his mistakes, like I was," Caleb said of his son.

Lee Fire Chief Alan Sparks told The Eagle the fire was contained to the second-story bedrooms of the multi-family home. Two bedrooms suffered smoke and water damage, but no one was hurt.

"It was a good stop," Sparks said. "When we got here, both front windows of the home had flames bursting from them."

Both lanes of Tyringham Road were closed for about an hour while emergency crews battled the blaze and cleared the scene throwing charred mattresses, burnt clothing and melted plastic hampers from the second-floor windows.

"When I asked him if he was ever going to play with matches again, he just slowly shook his head no," Caleb said. "I think he learned his lesson."

To reach Josh Stilts:,
or (413) 496-6243.
On Twitter: @JoshStilts.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions