Arraignment postponed for man charged with making death threats

Wednesday August 22, 2012

PITTSFIELD -- The Las Vegas man accused of threatening the life of Meredith Nilan had his arraignment delayed again and won't be in court until Oct. 17.

The defense attorney for Trevor J. Moore, 32, has been granted a further delay in the case, citing "scheduling issues."

An out-of-county assistant district attorney, Jeff Boynsten, who will be handling the prosecution of the case, agreed to the delay, according to court filings. It was unclear as of press time what jurisdiction Boynsten is from. He was not present at Tuesday's hearing.

Boynsten is apparently handling the case because of the ties between Clifford Nilan, the chief of probation at Berkshire Superior Court, who is Meredith's father, and the Berkshire District Attorney's Office.

This is the second delay in the case since the Pittsfield Police lodged charges against Moore. He was originally scheduled to be arraigned in June. That hearing was rescheduled for today.

Police say Moore, a Las Vegas resident with ties to Cheshire, called Meredith Nilan's home in February and March and threatened the 25-year-old's life, telling her family that he was going to "make sure that she's taken care of if the justice system doesn't come through this time," among other related threats.

The threats were allegedly linked to a December car-versus-pedestrian accident in which Nilan was the driver. The accident left Peter Moore, a local man who was out walking his dog on a city street, severely injured.

Trevor Moore and Peter Moore are not related.

Nilan's case was continued without a finding of guilt for six months in early June.

Last month, Nilan was in court seeking a harassment order against local blogger and journalist Dan Valenti for blogging about her case. Nilan told the court she believed Trevor Moore's threats against her were connected to Valenti's words.

An emergency harassment order was granted, ordering Valenti to remove any posts about Nilan, but the order was later overturned.

Trevor Moore is facing single counts of making harassing telephone calls and threatening to commit murder.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions