Berkshire students succeed at BPA National Leadership Conference
BOSTON — Students from local high schools returned home Boston strong and Berkshire proud earlier this month, after competing in the National Leadership Conference of the Business Professionals of America.
More than 6,000 students and advisors from across the county descended on Boston from May 5 through 9, to compete in business-related categories and tasks, and celebrate BPA's 50th anniversary. Among them were teams from McCann Technical School in North Adams, Taconic High School in Pittsfield, and Wahconah Regional High School in Dalton.
The 50th anniversary opening ceremony was led by Andrea Leal, a 2014 McCann Tech business technology graduate and BPA's 2015-2016 post-secondary treasurer secretary. During the event, Leal was elected the post-secondary national president for the 2016-2017 year.
McCann also sent four interns — sophomores Hannah Fuller, Jackie Lemaire, Julia Esoldi and Maisy Ingalls — to the National Leadership Academy at the event.
Students who do exceptionally well, placing in the top 10 to 12 in the whole competition, are called up to be recognized on the national stage. The results and records for each school's teams are as follows:
• Junior Emily Shanley placed fourth in Administrative Support Concepts; fifth in Advanced Spreadsheet Applications/MOS Excel Core Exam 2013.
• Senior Lukas Yelle placed second in Information Technology Concepts; 12th in Computer Network Technology /MTA Networking Fundamentals.
• Senior Maria Deblois placed 11th in Advanced Word Processing/MOS Word Core Exam 2013.
• Sophomore Aimee Dowling placed fifth in Fundamental Word Processing; seventh in Fundamental Spreadsheet Applications.
• Sophomore Grace McGrath places sixth out 65 in Fundamental Word Processing.
• Team Borey (Yelle, senior Taylor Borey, junior Nikki Kirk) placed ninth in Website Design Team.
• Senior Richard Garwood placed fifth in Personal Financial Management.
• Junior Randi Robbins placed sixth in Advanced Interview Skills.
• Junior Ross Omelenchuck placed eighth in Fundamental Accounting.
• Omlenchuck, Robbins and juniors Lindsey Coe and Joe Heath placed 12th in Small Business Management Team.
• Juniors Olivia Bordeau, Gianna Paris, Becca Herbert and Ashley Keegan placed first in the special Merit Scholar Quiz Bowl Team Competition. Senior Matt Barry placed first in the AICPA "Bank On It Tournament."
Co-adviser Cindy Durkee said not all of the students who qualified were able to attend the event and no students placed at the top. Hayden Cantoni competed in Computer Modeling and also joined Dalton Dean and Sean Harvey in the Video Production Team Competition. Katerina Bruce competed in Advanced Accounting.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.