Explosion damages Bennington, Vt. home

Posted

BENNINGTON, VT. — A heating system malfunction led to an explosion which significantly damaged the interior of a Grove Street home on Sunday.

Bennington Fire Chief Jeff Vickers said that at 3:53 p.m. the Bennington Fire Department was dispatched to 311 Grove Street for a potential structure fire. There was no fire, but several windows on the first floor had been blown out. Firefighters entered the building and found no one inside.

"It appears that there was a catastrophic failure of the fuel oil burner," Vickers wrote in an email.

The explosion caused significant damage to the inside of the building. For safety reasons, water and electricity utilities were cut off. Vickers said there was water flowing into the basement.

Bennington Code Enforcement Officer Kevin Goodhue responded and told the residents they could not stay in the home.

Bennington Police, Bennington Rescue Squad, and the Bennington Water Department assisted at the scene.

There were no reported injuries.

— Contact Keith Whitcomb Jr. at 802-447-7567 Ext. 115


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions