Football, 'Idol' lift Fox to No. 1
NEW YORK -- Last week, it was Fox’s turn to shine.
Rebounding from a fourth-place finish the previous week, Fox rode football and "American Idol" to the top of the prime-time ratings, according to Nielsen.
Fox’s coverage of the NFC championship game between the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers drew a hefty 56 million viewers to take the top slot for the week.
The Wednesday season premiere of "American Idol," seen by 15 million viewers, placed fifth for the week, followed right behind by the Thursday "Idol" edition, with more than 13 million viewers.
Fox’s slasher drama "The Following" made a strong second-season return in 10th place, with 11 million viewers tuning in.
Overall for the week, Fox won with an average of 17.2 million viewers. Runner-up CBS had 8.4 million, followed by ABC with 5.2 million and NBC with 4.6 million.
For the week of Jan. 13-19, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships (in millions):
1. NFC Championship: San Francisco at Seattle (Fox), 55.9
2. NFC Championship: "The OT" (Fox), 30.3
3. "NCIS" (CBS), 19.7
4. "NCIS: Los Angeles" (CBS), 15.8
5. "American Idol" (Wednesday) (Fox), 15.1
6. "American Idol" (Thursday) (Fox), 13.3
7. "Blue Bloods" (CBS), 12.6
8. "Person of Interest" (CBS), 12.5
9. "The Big Bang Theory" (CBS), 12.0
10. "The Following" (Fox), 11.1
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.