George Lopez: Says no more late-night TV

Posted

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) -- Amid rumors of another "Tonight" show shake-up, comedian George Lopez says he has no desire to return to the late-night talk show scene.

Lopez said he had a great two-year run as a late night talk show host. But, he said, "I'm out of that thing."

"I know all those guys. They're all good guys, but that's a tough job. There are a lot of tough jobs in TV. That could be one of the toughest, hosting a show every night," Lopez said Wednesday night.

Lopez's comments in Sioux Falls before taking the stage for a stand-up show benefiting the Brennan Rock & Roll Academy come after amid fresh turbulence in the late night talk show business after word leaked last week that "Late Night" host Jimmy Fallon will unseat Jay Leno as the new host of NBC's "Tonight." The network has not confirmed the rumor.

Lopez wound up losing his cable television gig in August 2011 in a trickle-down effect from the last time the "Tonight" seat changed hands.

TBS canceled "Lopez Tonight" after its second-year viewership dropped 40 percent when Lopez moved his show back an hour to midnight to make room for Conan O'Brien.

Lopez said he had a great time hosting the TBS show.

"I tried to create a party, and we did," he said.

Lopez joked that he's probably better off that the party ended "just for the fact that I wanted to live a little bit longer."


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions