Greylock girls lacrosse runs past Cathedral in second half of Central-Western Mass. opener


WILLIAMSTOWN -- Mount Greylock's Central-Western Mass. Division II girls lacrosse win Tuesday was all about control.

The Mounties maintained possession and controlled the second half, pulling away behind Sarah Stripp's five-goal half and eliminating Cathedral 16-11.

Stripp scored seven goals on the day, and had four of the first six goals scored in the second half, as the shorthanded Mounties (18-1-1) turned a slim 9-8 halftime lead into a lead of as many as six goals.

Greylock, seeded sixth in the D-II draw, will travel to Littleton for a quarterfinal against the No. 3 seed. The date and time have yet to be determined.

With Lucy Barrett (illness) and Miranda Bucky (injury) scratched from the lineup, Greylock held off a first-half rally by an even more-shorthanded Cathedral roster. The Panthers fell behind 5-1 before clawing back to tie the score at 8 with a little more than 2 minutes left in the first.

That was as close as Cathedral would get, though. Maggie Rorke and Julia Whitney scored a goal each in the second half to back up Stripp's success -- which, Greylock coach Lindsey von Holtz pointed out, was not possible without people getting her the ball.

"Maggie was able to win a draw to start it off -- actually, Maggie won quite a few draws -- and possession is the most important part of this game," the coach said. "Sarah's obviously a good player. She can use her right and left hand interchangeably, which makes her hard to defend. She wouldn't have gotten there if Maggie, Alana [Chesney] and Haley [Reinhard] hadn't won draws for her."

When Stripp scored, she was usually right in front of Cathedral goalie Tara Sullivan. Her goal with 34.9 seconds left in the first half gave the Mounties a halftime lead, and after Whitney opened Greylock's second-half scoring, Stripp scored the team's next five goals.

"We started to try and settle it down, and call some plays," Stripp said. "That opened up a lot of lanes down the middle, which is where I got a lot of my shots."

Julia Talbot scored six goals for Cathedral, which finished 8-10 after a one-win season a year ago. Annie D'Amario added two goals, and Tara Sullivan stopped 15 shots.

Talbot was the only Panther to score in the second half, as the Mounties dominated possession and did their best to run out the clock.

"Overall, we played well on defense, shutting them down and collapsing," said Greylock's Kelsey Orpin, who scored three goals.

The Panthers -- whose bus didn't arrive at MGRHS until approximately 6:30 for a game that was scheduled to start at 6 -- finished the game with no substitutes available.

"I had no subs in the second half, because we had two injured girls, and two got sick and had to leave," Cathedral coach Doug Sullivan said. "Two of our starting defensemen were down, so I was using kids who usually don't play defense.

"So 16-11 and being down like that, everybody filled in where they needed to fill in to be competitive."

Von Holtz declined to specify the injuries and/or illnesses keeping starters out of the lineup Tuesday, but was optimistic about the prospect of getting at least one back for the quarterfinal round.

"We hope to, but we're unsure," she said.


Cathedral 8 3 -- 11

Greylock 9 7 -- 16

Cathedral goals: Julia Talbot 6, Annie D'Amario 2, Abby Wolf 1, Brenna Hoar 1, Nicole Denver 1. Cathedral assists: Denver 2, Talbot 1. Greylock goals: Sarah Stripp 7, Kelsey Orpin 3, Maggie Rorke 2, Rachel Clement 2, Emma Polumbo 1, Julia Whitney 1. Greylock assists: Stripp 2, Orpin 1, Whitney 1, Polumbo 1.

Saves: C -- Tara Sullivan 15. MG -- Sam MacWhinnie 2, Paige Willis 1.

To reach Matthew Sprague:,
or (413) 496-6254.
On Twitter: @BE_MSprague.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions