Hinsdale fire victim transferred to Boston burn unit


HINSDALE -- A husband and wife from Hinsdale remained hospitalized on Monday -- a day after a Main Street house fire left a total of six people homeless.

The woman has been transported to a burn unit in Boston, where she is listed in critical condition, Hinsdale Fire Chief Larry Turner said Monday.

The couple, whose names have not been released, suffered at least second-degree burns in Sunday’s fire. They were initially taken to Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield before being transported to the burn unit at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, where the husband remains. His current condition is unknown.

The sister of the injured woman was also taken to BMC for observation and was expected to be released.

Turner said the victims, along with three other unidentified tenants -- including a child -- managed to escape the fire that broke out shortly after 4 p.m. at 15 Main St. The blaze began in the second-floor bedroom of the woman who was burned, the fire chief said. She was pulled to safety by her spouse.

The fire chief said the damage was confined primarily to the second-floor bedroom and attic.

The cause of the fire still remains under investigation by the state Fire Marshall Office and Hinsdale fire officials.

Turner said "there’s no solid conclusion" yet in the cause of the fire, but officials have ruled that the blaze is not suspicious.

He said the other tenants were able to retrieve some of their belongings and spend the night with relatives. Turner said they have a place to stay until the home is rehabilitated.

The two-family home owned by Dawn Frissell is insured, but the estimated cost of the fire damage is unknown.

A Dalton family also was displaced from their home at 21 Crane Ave. on Sunday evening following an apparent electrical fire, local fire officials said.

Dalton Fire Chief Gerry Cahalan said Daniel and Angie Lee and their infant child escaped unharmed, but had to spend the night with relatives.

Cahalan said on Monday that the family remains displaced from the home, a former duplex converted into a single-family residence. He said the fire started in the basement level, beneath a newly renovated room.

The fire caused significant damage to the home’s basement, damage on the first floor and smoke damage throughout the house.

The fire chief said a representative from the state Fire Marshall Office also had a look at the scene. Officials believe the cause to be an electrical problem, but it is still under investigation.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions