Hoosac Valley football stops Mount Greylock, 20-12


WILLIAMSTOWN -- It was almost four years to the day since Hoosac Valley last beat Mount Greylock in football.

The seniors on this year’s Hoosac team hadn’t beaten the Mounties. Until now.

Ty Mach scored all three touchdowns and the Hurricanes’ defense came up with three interceptions to win on the road at Mount Greylock, 20-12.

"I just want to give [the win] to our line," Mach said. "That was a battle up front and they wont it for us. They got us there, and they brought us to the end zone every time.

"It was a great win and we’re just going to keep going."

The losing streak covered five games, including two Berkshire County championships. The Hurricanes had never scored more than six points in any of those games. They had seven before the first quarter was over Friday night.

Mach punched it in from 2 yards out and Ian Hill kicked it through with 57 seconds left. The Hurricanes scored against Greylock for the first time since the 2010 county title game.

"My freshman year, I believe, we got beat very badly on this field, and it’s never a good feeling walking off this field," Hill said. "I was on the team when we were on the 1-yard line or 2-yard line and we fumbled. So it’s all those little bits that we’re right there. We finally got it, so it adds a lot more."

Mach was just getting started. Two plays later, Hill chased Greylock quarterback Brodie Altiere from the pocket and Hill intercepted his pass. Seventy yards later, Hoosac was celebrating again with 8 seconds left in the first quarter.

"All of our short game, really," Mach said of what was working throughout the night. "It was just working hard and the line was busting their [butt] for us."

Mach capped off his excellent first half with a 3-yard touchdown plunge with 2:11 remaining in the half.

For once, it wasn’t the Hurricanes that couldn’t find the end zone, but rather the Mounties. Greylock ran only 15 plays in the first half, but gained 95 yards.

It was the turnovers that stole the momentum every time.

"It was a game of emotions, and it was definitely a roller coaster ride," Greylock coach Shawn Flaherty said. "Turnovers are always going to hurt you and that’s what we always say. Turnovers, it’s not like you’re going to lose yards or lose possession of the ball, you’re going to lose the game."

Altiere’s interception returned for a touchdown was just the beginning.

After Mach’s third trip to the end zone, Hoosac was smelling blood and went for the kill. Hill intentionally hit upman Matt Malloy with the kickoff and Matt Braman recovered for Hoosac on the 50-yard line. The Hurricanes couldn’t turn it into points, but kept Greylock from having much time to try and score.

The Hurricanes intercepted Altiere twice more in the second half. Brandon Tworig made a nice catch on an overthrown ball and Jameson Coughlin ended Greylock’s final drive with an interception at the Mounties’ 45-yard line.

The Hurricanes played the second half without Austin Milesi, who suffered an injury that required him to be carried off on a stretcher. He was seen moving his head while he laid on the ground.

It was a turning point that Hoosac was able to overcome.

"For us, we were just going to come out and play for him," Mach said. "Make sure we were going to win this game for him."


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions