Hoverboard blamed for causing fire in Boston's North End

Posted

BOSTON >> Fire investigators say they believe a hoverboard is to blame for causing a blaze that seriously damaged an apartment building in Boston's North End section.

The fire broke out just after 9 p.m. Sunday on the third floor of a 4 1/2-story residence on Hanover Street. Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames, but not before they caused approximately $100,000 in damage to the structure.

Fire officials say displaced residents were staying with friends.

The Boston Globe reports the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating 57 fires reportedly linked to the two-wheeled, self-balancing transportation devices. State officials say hoverboards played a role in a November blaze in Somerville and a February fire in Chelmsford.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions