Lenox boys hoops wins South Division title


LENOX -- Hot outside shooting powered the Lenox boys basketball team to the South Division crown on Monday night.

The Millionaires made seven first-half 3-pointers and 12 in the game for an 82-71 victory over rival Lee on Senior Night.

"Whatever they were throwing up was going in," Lenox coach Scott Sibley said. "It was just one of those halves everybody was knocking them down and feeling pretty good in that first half."

Evan Lanoue made three of his four treys in the first half. Those threes helped Lenox score 44 first-half points and take an 18-point lead into halftime.

Lee closed a little in the second half, but Lenox made another five 3-pointers to keep its distance. Sibley said the team hasn't made that many threes in his three seasons at the helm.

"Most nights, I would say don't take those threes," he said. "But they were dropping."

Lanoue finished tied with Ben Herrick with 22 points to pace Lenox. Heamon Williams led all scorers with 34 points.

Hoosac Valley 73, Drury 58

CHESHIRE -- Hoosac coach Bill Robinson wanted his team to press Drury from the outset and keep them running the whole game.

The Blue Devils were playing the second of back-to-back games. Robinson has seen his team suffer the effects from such instances hinder it in the later stages of that second game.

I told the guys, "I don't care if they score. Let's get them into a running game," he said. "We know from experience that back end of back-to-backs is a tough game."

Drury kept pace in the first half, actually holding a one-point lead at the break, but, just as Robinson suspected, the legs got heavy in the third quarter. Drury scored only nine points, which allowed Hoosac to take an eight-point lead into the final quarter.

The Hurricanes extended their lead to 18 in the fourth with Matt Braman leading the way. He scored 12 of his game-high 23 points in six minutes of the fourth quarter. His points came via transition, pull-up jump shots and a three.

Jameson Coughlan scored 22 points, 14 in the first half as the Hurricanes made it a point to pound the ball inside early.

Wahconah 47, Monument Mountain 35

DALTON -- The Warriors finished up their league schedule with a team win over Monument.

Wahconah received scoring from seven different players in the absence of Kevin Boino.

"We had to use more guys than we've used all year," Wahconah coach Dustin Belcher said. "All those guys gave us something."

Collin Parrott made a 24-footer at the buzzer before halftime to give Wahconah a one-point lead at the break on Senior Night. That momentum boost carried through into the second half for the Warriors.

Wahconah held Monument to three points in the third, which helped extend its lead to eight.

In the absence of Boino, "Ryan McMahon played huge in that guard spot," Belcher said. "He stepped up and played a ton of minutes tonight."

Marcus Duncan recorded a double-double for Wahconah, scoring 11 points and pulling down 14 rebounds.

McCann Tech 64, Smith Voc. 43

NORTH ADAMS -- Shane Fuller tied season and career highs with 33 points Monday night, and the Hornets earned a win that could get them a share of the Tri-County championship tonight.

The 13-7 Hornets are a half-game out of first place. According to McCann coach Mike Nykorchuck, If Franklin Tech beats Gateway tonight, McCann finishes in a three-way tie for the league title.

Fuller scored 18 of his points in the second quarter, including three 3-pointers.

"It was the result of great team ball movement," Nykorchuck said. "He [Fuller] was catching and shooting, and he caught fire for about a five-minute period, including a [3-pointer] at the buzzer to end the first half."

McCann held Smith to just 14 second-half points. Nykorchuck attributed that to an improved half-court trap in the second half, as well as a move in his zone defense.

"They had a lot of success against our zone, flashing a guy to the middle," the coach said. "We were too low in our zone. We want them up higher. ... So we made the zone come up higher, and that shut that down."

Mount Greylock 70, St. Joseph 59

WILLIAMSTOWN -- St. Joe came out hot, scoring 27 points in the first quarter, but cooled significantly in the second and fourth quarters as Greylock mounted its comeback.

Down three points heading to the fourth, Greylock had three players -- Eric Hirsch, Jack Thistle and Cole Jackson -- score 16 of their 20 fourth-quarter points.

"We got down early in the game," Greylock coach Bob Thistle said. "They [St. Joe] were on fire from the 3-point line in the first quarter, and we didn't do a good job getting out on them. I was proud of my kids, because they just kept chipping away."

Jackson scored 17 to lead Greylock (7-12), with Hirsch and Ian Brink scoring 13 each. The Mounties hit 10 3-pointers in the win. Reilly Balcom's 20 points led St. Joseph.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions