Letter: Bombing victim offered valuable life lessons
Bombing victim offered valuable life lessons
To the editor:
On March 9, the Lee Public Schools Wellness Committee welcomed Jeff Bauman, a Boston Marathon bombing victim, to the Lee Middle and High School. Over 600 people in our community turned out for the morning and evening presentations to hear Jeff talk about his motto "I saw the bomber, he took my legs, but he didn't break me. He only made me stronger."
I was honored to have the opportunity to hear Jeff's story. What amazed me so is that he is one of the most down-to-earth people you could ever meet — a regular human being just like all of us, Although he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, one could say he was in the right place at the right time because he was able to identify the bomber. If it wasn't for Jeff's keen sense of attention to his surroundings the bomber may never have been caught.
I found Jeff's positive attitude with a sense of humor towards this tragic event very inspiring. A few reminders I took away from the presentation:
* Life can change in a blink of an eye and it may not turn out according to how one had planned.
* One never knows how their day is going to unfold and to consider each day as a blessing.
* Try to find humor in all situations no matter how serious they may be.
* There will be times when faced with dark days and when this occurs do not hesitate to reach out to others as support if needed.
* Never take life for granted! Do not put off letting loved ones know how you feel about them. If you put off what is in your heart to some day, some day could be too late!
Thank you very much to the Lee Public Schools Wellness Committee for bringing a fantastic speaker to our community to remind us how precious life is!
Kelly Koperek, Lee
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.