Mahaiwe adds classic films, HD theater broadcasts to schedule
Featured are four London National Theatre in HD productions, beginning 2 p.m. Feb. 25 with "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," starring Sienna Miller, Jack O'Connell and Colm Meaney in an acclaimed revival of Tennessee Williams' Pulitzer Prize-winning drama.
Also on tap:
- "Hamlet," 2 p.m., March 11, starring Academy Award nominee Benedict Cumberbatch;
- "Julius Caesar," 2 p.m, March 24, starring Ben Whishaw and Michelle Fairley as Brutus and Cassius, David Calder as Caesar and David Morrissey as Mark Antony. Nicholas Hytner directs;
- and "Macbeth," 2 p.m., May 20, starring Rory Kinnear and Anne-Marie Duff as Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, directed by Rufus Norris.
The classic movie schedule includes:
- "The Hustler," 7 p.m. Thursday, starring Paul Newman as up-and-coming pool player "Fast" Eddie Felson, who challenges long-time champion Minnesota Fats (played by Jackie Gleason) in a high-stakes match;
- "Groundhog Day," 7 p.m., Feb. 1, a cult classic comedy starring Bill Murray as a weatherman who finds himself inexplicably living the same day over and over again;
- "Casablanca," 7 p.m., Feb. 10, starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman;
- "Selma," 7 p.m., Feb. 15, presented in honor of African American History Month. It chronicles Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s campaign to secure equal voting rights via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, in 1965. Directed by Ava DuVernay, the film was nominated for the Best Picture Academy Award;
- "Alien," 7 p.m., March 1, starring Sigourney Weaver in a close encounter of the third kind that becomes a Jaws-style nightmare when an alien invades a spacecraft in Ridley Scott's sci-fi horror classic;
- and "A Night at the Opera," 7 p.m., March 15, the Marx Brothers' slapstick comedy in which a sly business manager and two wacky friends of two opera singers help them achieve success while humiliating their stuffy and snobbish enemies.
In addition, the Mahaiwe will host a special ski season screening of "Volkswagen Presents: Warren Miller's Line of Descent," 7:30 p.m., Feb. 17.
Complete ticket and additional information is available online at mahaiwe.org; by phone at 413-528-0100; or in person at the Mahaiwe box office, 14 Castle St. Box office hours are noon-6, Wednesday through Saturday, and three hours before show times
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.